Gallery Place Plaza
|Owner / Client:||Gallery Place Holdings, L.L.P.|
In July 2001, Gallery Place Holdings, L.L.P. developed a massive retail, entertainment and residential complex adjacent to the MCI Center in Chinatown. The $220 million project was the first to be subsidized through the District of Columbia government’s new Tax Increment Financing (TIF) program. Gallery Place Holdings, L.L.P. had engaged the services of L. S. Caldwell & Associates, Inc. to assist in negotiating contracting and employment agreements with the city government to achieve the required goals of thirty five percent (35%) LSDBE contracting participation, ensure fifty one percent (51%) of new employment opportunities were offered to District residents first and developed Apprenticeship Training Programs to expand and enhance the District workforce. L. S. Caldwell & Associates, Inc. worked closely with Gallery Place Holdings, L.L.P. and the general contractor to achieve these goals. After the program foundation developed, L. S. Caldwell & Associates, Inc. was responsible for program implementation, documentation of efforts and monitoring goal achievements. At the conclusion of the project $21 million or thirty five percent (35%) of the TIF dollars had been awarded to LSDBE contractors. In addition, an undetermined number of D.C. residents had the opportunity for on-the-job apprenticeships and/or new employment opportunities.
Within scheduled guidelines, L. S. Caldwell & Associates, Inc. also completed the following tasks:
- Coordinated the efforts of the developer, the general contractor and various business associations and community organizations toward LSDBE identification and development of successful LSDBE relationships.
- Developed LSDBE participation program and implementation plan.
- Worked with local community organizations and business associations to ensure specific commitments and economic development benefits accrue to the local community and the District community at large. Additionally, represented the developer at community meetings, encouraged organizational support and participation and informed the community at large of Gallery Place Holdings, L.L.P.’s strong economic development commitment.
- Analyzed eligible contracts/dollars to assist in contract sizing, packaging, bonding requirements, subcontractor responsibility, subcontractor availability, etc. As necessary, developed and/or modified all contract managers’ LSDBE and/or subcontracting plans and assisted in the review and approval process for other subcontracting plans as directed.
- Developed report mechanisms and provided instruction to the developer and all project contractors on tracking and reporting efforts to reach employment and contracting goals.
- Monitored and tracked reporting requirements for all trades that had specific contracting and employment goals associated with them.