||Lincoln Property Company / Manhattan Construction
- 35% Minority Business Enterprise/Protected Class (MBE/PC)
- 51% DC Resident New Hires
- 35% Apprenticeship Hours for District Residents
Maritime Plaza was a Joint Venture between the developers Washington Gas, a member of the Washington business community for over 150 years, and Lincoln Property Company, a national real estate development firm. Adjacent to the Washington Navy Yard on the Anacostia River, the development of a planned office park that included 750,000 square feet of office space in four (4) buildings and a 250-room hotel.
For this project, the developers committed to a contracting participation goal of 35% Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) and Protected Class (PC) business utilization and an employment goal of 51% of new positions going to District residents. Washington Gas, Lincoln Property Company and Manhattan Construction, the construction manager, engaged L. S. Caldwell & Associates, Inc.’s services to assist in developing and implementing contracting and employment compliance programs to achieve the specified goals. The $28 million first phase of Maritime Plaza completed in August 2001 with at least 35% of the project contracted to MBE/PC businesses.
Within scheduled guidelines, L. S. Caldwell & Associates, Inc. also completed the following tasks:
- Developed contracting compliance program and implementation plan.
- Worked with Washington Gas and Lincoln Property Company’s legal departments in reviewing all covenants to ensure the contracting program is compliant with applicable laws and company policy.
- Developed report documents for subcontractor submission to the developer that provided data to support contracting requirements.
- Developed handbook for prime contractors and subcontractors that included necessary documents, e.g. subcontractor vendor request forms, tracking data input forms, etc.
- Provided guidance in negotiating employment agreement with the D.C. Department of Employment Services and developed an equal employment opportunity compliance program and implementation plan.
- Developed in collaboration with Washington Gas, Lincoln Property Company and the construction manager, all required monthly and quarterly contracting and employment forms and reports; and provided training to instruct those individuals completing these reports to ensure data is collected and reported accurately.
- Analyze eligible contracts/dollars to determine MBE/PC business availability based on contract sizes, packaging, bonding requirements, subcontractor responsibilities, etc..
- Provide guidance in developing, coordinating and facilitating community and business employment and contracting outreach efforts via events, advertising, media, etc.. Assist in identifying and informing businesses and the residential community; professional and technical, construction, suppliers, retail, commercial, industrial, manufacturing, wholesalers and distribution firms, of the project’s contracting and employment program, its benefits and available opportunities.