Woodrow Wilson Bridge
||Oxon Hill, Maryland
|Owner / Client:
||Maryland State Highway Administration (MSHA)
- Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) Participation to be determined (TBD) on a Contract-by-Contract basis
The Woodrow Wilson Bridge was a multi-jurisdictional $2.2 billion project that spanned a seven and one half (7-1/2) mile corridor and included the design and construction of a new bridge, improvements to four interchanges and a host of mitigation and enhancement features. This project served as a regional economic engine through its six (6) to seven (7) year duration by creating thousands of jobs annually and enormous business opportunities. Maryland State Highway Administration (MSHA) selected L. S. Caldwell & Associates, Inc.’s to provide consulting and project management expertise in contracting and employment compliance and project monitoring for The Woodrow Wilson Bridge Project.
The responsibilities and scope of service(s) entrusted to LSC throughout the duration of this project are as follows:
- Developed and disseminated various resource information through an informal publication and instructional guidance by conducting, as well as coordinating seminars and workshops specifically geared toward certified DBEs and those firms seeking to become DBE certified in efforts of securing contracting opportunities on the WWB.
- Established and maintained a system for the purpose of referring DBEs to other sources for specific technical assistance and information.
- Provided information pertaining to MSHA specifications, State and Federal requirements, policies and procedures while also ensuring their compliance.
- Assisted the established Community Resource Board (CRB) in developing workshops and resources to support estimating, bidding, joint venturing, financing and other supportive assistance DBEs may need to be prepared and competitive to access WWB opportunities.
- Coordinated Outreach Activities, including, but not limited to:
- Worked with prime contractor associations, community and minority groups and trade associations to locate potential minority and female applicants and disadvantaged firms with expertise in highway construction.
- Provided assistance and guidance to DBEs in completing certification affidavits.
- Interviewed listed DBEs within the Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT) Directory Index under Bridge, Tunnel and Elevated Highway Construction, for firms who are willing to work on the WWB.
- Evaluated, monitored and followed-up on the progress of those DBEs who received services and assistance in accordance with provisions set forth within MSHA and prime contractor agreements.
- Participated in the Goal Wavier Panel meetings to assist with the establishment of contract goals and provided assistance to contractor(s) to ensure that the goals on each contract are achieved.
- Administered the MSHA On The Job Trainee Program to ensure adherence by the contractor(s). Responsibilities include:
- Interviewed trainees and problems resolutions.
- Provided recruitment support in underrepresented groups.
- Administered enrollment and documentation process for MSHA
- Acted as a liaison to the Maryland Department of Labor Licensing and Regulations.